The best way to prevent child abuse is for all adults to be educated on the signs of abuse, types of abuse and most importantly how to report suspected child abuse.
What do I do if a child discloses abuse to me?
Your reaction has a big effect on how the child deals with the trauma. It’s important to:
- Remain calm
- Believe the child
- Protect the child be immediately reporting to the child abuse hotline – 800.482.5964 and the local authorities
- If the child is in immediate danger call 911.
How to Report Child Abuse
Reporting child abuse is anonymous. You do not have to be able to prove the abuse is happening. You just have to have reason to suspect.
If you suspect abuse, or a child discloses to you, call the child abuse hotline – toll-fee – 1800.482.5964. If you feel the child is in immediate danger call 911.
Are you a mandated reporter?
If you are a mandated reporter, you are required to report suspected abuse or neglect. You are a mandated reporter if you are:
- AR State Police Crimes Against Children (CACD) employee
- Attorney ad litem in the course of his or her duties as an attorney ad litem
- Child abuse advocate or volunteer
- Child advocacy center employee
- Child Care center worker
- Child Care worker
- Child safety center employee
- Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program staff or volunteer
- Dental hygienist
- Department of Human Services employee
- Domestic abuse advocate
- Domestic violence shelter employee
- Domestic violence volunteer
- Employee working under contract for the Division of Juvenile Services
- Foster care worker
- Foster parent
- Juvenile intake or probation officer
- Law enforcement official
- Licensed nurse
- Medical personnel who may be engaged in admission, examination, care, or treatment of persons
- Mental health professional
- Peace officer
- Prosecuting attorney
- Rape crisis advocate or volunteer
- Resident intern
- School counselor
- School official
- Sexual abuse advocate or volunteer
- Social worker
- Victim assistance professional or volunteer
- Victim/witness coordinator